Monday, May 21, 2012

Cool Nerds: A Couple of 80's New Wave Oddities


LA's Burning Sensations


I haven’t posted in far too long, and to anyone who is following this blog regularly I apologize.  I’m starting a new job next year and due to a wrinkle of fate I actually am still being paid by my old job while I prepare materials for this new job, so I’ve been focusing on that.  But I’d like to get back into the swing of posting regularly, specifically I still have voluminous posts coming on country rock, on electronica, another post on post-rock, among others.  But to get my feet wet I’m writing today’s post which focuses on three obscure songs that I first discovered via their music videos.  For those of us old enough to remember, before there was Wikipedia, before there was All Music Guide, before there was iTunes, before there was YouTube, before there was even an internet, one of the main places to get exposed to new music was via music videos.    I spent my formative years in Southern California, which did not get MTV until very late in my “childhood” (I think I was in high school), and so even if my parents HAD wanted to spend money on cable TV (which they did not) I couldn’t have seen it.  My first exposure to MTV was through friends who got it then.  At one point around my senior year of high school, my aunt Kris (who is only 2 years older than me and has always been more like a big sister) and I house sat for some family friends who had MTV and I can remember us watching it endlessly even though it was a massive letdown because it was so insufferably BORING—they showed very few videos even then and it seems in retrospect that they spent at least an equal amount of time shilling themselves—the constant station IDs (this was back in the “Moon Man” phase), the endless promotional contests (the one during this period of time was “Be a Roadie for Bruce Springsteen”, which couldn’t have appealed LESS to me at the time given my European synthpop/new wave obsession).  Mostly it seemed very East Coast—very New York centered, very much NOT hip to the new wave feeling of the time.

Where did we get our music videos if not from MTV?  Well, I’ve already posted several times about the show MV3, a local Southern California show that combined videos with a studio dance format.  MV3 was world-changing to my friends and I, primarily because of the studio dancers and their various tribal new wave styles.  In Long Beach, where we lived, very few people dressed like mods or like new wavers or rockabilly cats, mostly everyone skulked around in their preppy fashions—plaid or brightly colored golf pants, polo style shirts, sweaters tied around the neck, Topsider boat shoes.  Seeing these other kids awash in the latest European/New York fashions was revelatory.  In fact, one of the main reasons I decided to attend college at UCLA (aside from the excellent academics of course) was because during the 1984 Olympics my family took me to several events at UCLA’s campus and driving through Westwood I saw TONS of people dressed in the cool fashions of the time.  I thought I’d died and gone to new wave heaven.

But MV3 was also the source of many odd, rare, distinctive videos back in the day too that were influential as well.  Many were by local bands that had scraped together enough money to make a video then begged or bribed MV3 into playing it.  Two groups in particular, Fishbone and the Bangles, achieved fame first as local celebrities for their music videos.  Fishbone’s “? (Modern Industry)” was immensely popular; I think I could still recite most if not all of the radio stations mentioned in that song from memory!  “The Real World” remains my favorite Bangles song of all time; I really love the catchy 60’s London swing to that song and even then I and most of my friends could tell that Susanna Hoffs was smokin’ hot, even shrouded up in 60’s fashions as she was. 

But there were songs that were even MORE obscure, and the bands that made them didn’t usually go on to big fame.   Burning Sensations was a band that kind of straddled this divide:  while they didn’t have much national recognition, they were pretty popular in Southern California primarily because of the video for their song “Belly of the Whale”.  The song itself is outstanding—a catchy blast of calypso/ska-infused rock—and the video looked like a hoot:  the band, some very attractive dancing girls/bathing beauties, and a bunch of other cool characters (their friends I presume) all hanging out in a club inside the aforementioned whale’s belly.  In its own way the video was like a weird LA answer to what might arguably be the coolest video of all time, the English Beat’s “Save it for Later”, which was shot in some weird bohemian beatnik cavern club and which convinced me and many others that England had to be the coolest country in the world.  Burning Sensations were fronted by Tim McGovern, who had formerly played guitar for the Motels (the “Whale” video even has a tribute, or is it a dig at? Martha Davis of the Motels, showing a doppelganger from her “Only the Lonely” video who pushes McGovern down the slide into the whale’s belly, a metaphor for her kicking him out perhaps?), and this song was their one big hit (though they did also achieve recognition for their cover of Jonathon Richman’s “Pablo Picasso” on the soundtrack for the excellent movie Repo Man).  McGovern’s look in this video was very fashion-forward:  he wears a slouchy “Rat Pack” style hat and a goatee, literally decades before every hipster douche on earth adopted this as their “unique” look.  Unfortunately after releasing one EP and one album Burning Sensations kind of faded into obscurity, but for one brief moment back in 1983 or so, they made LA seem as cool as London.

Another strange local gem was the video for the song “Cool Nerd” by Danny Schneider.  Schneider had started his musical career in northern California (supposedly at one point even auditioning for Sammy Hagar’s band.  He moved to LA and his band there, Speedlimit, had some limited (ha ha) exposure on LA’s premiere new wave radio station KROQ with their cover of Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots Are Made For Walkin’”.  Amazingly, iTunes has not one but TWO compilations of Speedlimit’s output available, including this song as well as their main single, “In the Middle of the Night”, which sounds like a cross between REO Speedwagon or Loverboy and perhaps a David Byrne-fronted Animotion.  It’s pretty generic early 80’s new wave tinged bar/arena rock, sounding like something off the original Terminator soundtrack that might have been playing at “Tech Noir” just before Ah-nold strode in and gunned everyone down.  Schneider’s vocals sound like a weird hybrid between David Byrne’s strident nerdiness and the chirpiness of Gary Numan.  Weird stuff.

Anyhoo Schneider reached a larger audience (of at least one, i.e., me) when he went solo and released a single and video called “The Cool Nerd”.  The song is a swinging, sweet, rapidly plucked acoustic guitar ditty about a guy who’s such a nerd he loves to dance by himself.  Scheider’s high pitched vocals and that kicky beat make this song extremely catchy in a nerd rock kind of way that again evokes David Byrne or some other 80’s nerd icon.  In the video, Schneider acts out the part of the cool nerd in a way that was eye catching but it was really his beautiful, fluid guitar picking that made this stick in my memory for about 30 years (and counting).  The video is posted on YouTube by Schneider himself and as mentioned the song is available on iTunes. 
Even weirder was the song and video for “How To Pick Up Girls”, a song by two diminutive sisters from Canada known (a little perversely) as the Little Girls.  The song is really just straight-ahead bar band rock aside from the chirpy vocals by the Maso sisters but it became a (very) minor hit.  The video again is a combination performance/storyline where various cheesy mulletted Canadian guys try in vain to pick up the aforementioned (Little) girls.  The sisters’ strange faux-aerobics dancing style is about the most interesting thing about this video, aside from the fact that they achieved a form of immortality by dint of the fact that Bret Easton Ellis quotes the lyrics from one of their other songs, “The Earthquake Song”, in his now-legendary 80’s too-fast-too-soon coming-of-age novel “Less Than Zero”.  “The Earthquake Song” is a slice of neo-60’s hip-shaking that is very reminiscent of Josie Cotton’s “Johnny Are You Queer” and “You Could Be the One”.  A strangely peppy and throwaway song to be featured in such a dark book (which primarily quotes or mentions lyrics by more durable acts like X, Randy Newman, Led Zeppelin, etc.). 




No comments:

Post a Comment