Sunday, February 13, 2011

Anywhere U.S.A.

The American Clash?  S.V.T.'s sole album from 1981.


Once the powderkeg of punk was lit, first in New York then leaping the pond to London, it exploded everywhere.  While the New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and to a lesser extent Cleveland and D.C. punk scenes have been amply documented, it is now recognized that punk bands started forming almost anywhere with a critical mass of artists, scenesters, and degenerates.  Its my lifelong goal to document as many of these tiny, unheralded, obscure bands and scenes as possible, but I’m just starting to climb that mountain.  The subject of this post is three bands that sprouted up around the time punk exploded in America (at least underground) in ’77 and ’78.

The first is the Pagans.  I first heard of the Pagans 25 years ago but it was only with the advent of the internet and music file sharing that I was at last able to hear them first-hand.  The Pagans formed in 1977 in the wake of the big Cleveland pre/protopunk scene dominated by the Dead Boys.  Formed by vocalist Mike Hudson and guitarist Mike Metoff, the Pagans played a bottom-heavy, grunge-presaging form of garage punk.  In 1986, Treehouse Records released “Buried Alive” (the same year Plan 9 released the Misfits’ compilation Legacy of Brutality).  “Dead End America” surges and roars like early Ramones; “What Is This Shit Called Love?”, is another blast of pure Ramones musical adrenaline (it starts off with a Ramones’ count-off). Regrettably, this album is not available on iTunes but these songs can be found on YouTube.  The Pagans never received the recognition they so rightly deserved, which is a tragedy.

A band I’ve recently gotten into are Boston’s Real Kids.  They actually should have been included in my “protopunk” post, as leader John Felice was a founding member of Jonathon Richman’s Modern Lovers.  I haven’t mention Jonathon Richman or his place in the protopunk iconography (my apologies to anyone from Boston), for the simple and selfish reason that I’ve never been a huge fan of his music, which sought to combine the dissonance and feedback of the Velvet Underground with a uniquely optimistic and innocent lyrical craft.  Don’t get me wrong, I love “Roadrunner”, but other than that song (and to be perfectly truthful I think I prefer Joan Jett’s cover to the original!!  How’s that for blasphemy??) I’ve never really gotten into the Modern Lovers.  Anyhoo, Felice left the Modern Lovers in 1972 and formed the Real Kids soon after.  Sonically the Real Kids had a more melodic and lyrical sweetness compared to actual punk:  “All Kindsa Girls” sounds like a mash-up of punk, powerpop, and bar band R&B and is a fantastic song.  “Bad To Worse” is another marvelous blast of high energy rock; it almost sounds like it could be off the MC5’s second and more commercial album Back In the USA—just good, melodic, heavy rock and roll.  What it shares with punk is the snotty attitude and the lack of concern for fine craft.  “Now You Know” sounds even more melodic, reminding me of LA’s 20/20 or even the Flamin’ Groovies.  The Real Kids’first album, as well as a subsequent album Grown Up Wrong, are available on iTunes.

Felice continued to play with the Real Kids but then spent some time working as a roadie for the Ramones.  At around this time (circa ’76 or ’77) he formed the Taxi Boys, who continued in the same vein, if anything ramping up the melody and toning down the roar.  “Everybody’s Girl” is an excellent example of this more powerpop style and is a terrific song.  “I Can’t Kick” has a bar band, R&B flavor but is another masterful pop gem, while “Up Is Up” has a catchy guitar riff that sounds like early Kinks.  This is good East coast powerpop that is worth a listen.  Unfortunately nothing is on iTunes but all three songs are available on YouTube.

While not actually American, Canada's Teenage Head was an early adopter of punk.  They released two albums in '79 and '80 that sound exactly like the melody meets buzzsaw of the Ramones.  "Ain't Got No Sense" off their debut album (both their early albums are on iTunes, along with more recent work) is poppy punk with the Ramones guitar roar.  If you like the Bruddas you'll LOVE this.

One of my favorite bands of the moment mines a similar vein of powerpop-meets-punk-meets-60’s-mod-raveup as the Real Kids and the Taxi Boys, and that’s S.V.T.  Formed in San Francisco in 1978 by Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna bassist Jack Casady, S.V.T. were an incredibly, INCREDIBLY talented band.  As mentioned, their music straddled the line between punk, powerpop, and bar band R&B—high on energy but also amazingly gifted song writing and melody craft.  They released two singles in 1979 (“Heart of Stone/”The Last Word” is available on YouTube), an EP in 1980 called Extended Play (several songs from this are available on YouTube) and one full-length album in 1981 called No Regrets (which is available on iTunes), and I have yet to find a song on any of them that isn’t phenomenal.  This is truly a band that put together strong songs with the exuberance of punk/new wave.  The single version of “Last Word” is a fantastic punk/powerpop rave-up—Casady’s bass playing is particularly rumbling and marvelous, the drums are terrific, and Brian Marnell’s vocals are up-tempo and fantastic.  This song almost reminds me of what the Clash were doing sonically minus the political lyrics—this song should have been a massive hit.  “Heart of Stone” is slower, starting with guitar harmonies and then launching into Marnell’s soulful lyric “The closer I get to losing you, the more I see your heart of stone”.  This song is not punk (though it has the energy of punk) and edges closer to what the New York Dolls were doing in reviving the plaintive “I’ve lost you” lyrics and feel of 60’s Motown girl groups.  Its another major winner of a song to me.  “Bleeding Heart”, also from their LP, starts with clanging guitars then launches full-tilt into the lurching bass of Casady, followed by a New Wave-y guitar line and staccato vocals that remind me of early Elvis Costello.  “Waiting for You” starts with a swirl of guitars then launches into a punchy, up-tempo guitar and vocal attack before pulling back for an almost chugging, speedmetal refrain—I love the changing tempos of this song and the howling guitar solo by Marnell.  “No Regrets”, the title song of their album is another fast paced bar band punk rock rave-up that builds in intensity as the song progresses.  “Always Come Back” is another one of my favorites and is just an absolute joy, a raw blast of energy that starts slow and quiet but again ramps up the intensity—Casady’s bass again sets a magnificent tempo and I love how Marnell’s vocals build to his near-shouting in the second line of the second verse:  “Everytime I see her I want to tell her she’s mine, and we can run off to Anywhere USA, BUT I KNOW IT WOULDN’T WORK ITS NOT THAT WAY!  She’s got her own little world and I know she wants to stay”.  This is another high point in a career of high points.  "Love Blind" is another sweet, jangly ballad that hits the target sonically (to me at least).  If there’s ONE misstep it’s the cover of “I Walk the Line” by Johnny Cash, if only because its been done to death (even then).  But then on side two, we get “The Price of Sex”, “I Can See”, and “Red Blue Jeans”, all of which are equally fantastic.  I really can’t recommend this band enough—if you like the Plimsouls, the Clash, the Dolls, the Rich Kids, Gen X, or anything in between, you will LOVE this outstanding and sadly unrecognized standout band. 

To me, Casady’s willingness to embrace the new sound of punk was highly admirable—unlike many of his generation, he wasn’t shackled by restrictions and definitions of what rock was.  S.V.T. never achieved national fame but during their brief heyday (vocalist/guitarist Brian Marnell sadly, tragically died in a car crash in 1983), they were one of the most popular draws in the Bay Area (notwithstanding Casady’s Airplane and Tuna fans showing up and yelling out “punk” as a denigration of his attempt to explore the new music and sound).  In a better world they would have been huge national stars and an American answer to the Clash.  But sadly it didn’t happen.  Still, people in the know appreciate the beauty and energy of “Last Word” and “Always Come Back”.

4 comments:

  1. “The closer I get to losing you, the more I see your heart of stone."

    Been searching those lyrics online since before there was a Google. This song has been in my head since I heard it a few times back in 79, probably on WNEW in NY. For the life of me, could not remember the name of the band, but by god I remembered that swirling guitar riff and first line. At long last the couplet shows up on your blog in 2011, and a final search directs me here. Yay. My earworm of 32 years has met its happy end.

    Thanks for documenting what deserves to be documented. Now I can hunt this amazing stuff down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment! I can't tell you how pleased I am that my blog played some small part in helping you find this song. That is literally the main reason I started this blog, to help people connect with songs and artists they may have run across long ago and have been trying to find. I must say I'm jealous you managed to hear them on the radio back in the day; I grew up in Southern California at that same time & never managed to do so and only got into this amazing group very recently. But now that song (and "Last Word") are two of my very favorites. Anyway, thanks again for your comment, it really made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, your blog is outstanding! I'm shocked that there are so few commenters here. I dunno, maybe that's because my predilections are a little skewed. I experienced all of this late-70s/early-80s punk/new wave/power pop at a very impressionable age, so the subgenre has always shaped my musical tastes and inclinations, probably unduly. But that's true of lots of people my age, and they should be hanging out here.

    My Pennsylvania gf is so sick of me bragging about the joys of NY radio in that era. In reality, the excitement probably only lasted a couple of years, if that. I used to keep my radio on and cassette recorder running all night, forcing myself out of bed every 45 minutes to change the tape.

    I guess it's easy to confuse the power of discovering music at 15 with the power of the music you happened to discover. You know? Often I'll catch an old tune on Sirius, or dig something up for a listen, and be surprised. What once seemed like a revelation sounds pedestrian to my sadly mature ears.

    OTOH, there are new revelations, too. Like Marnell's "Yee-ha!" just before the solo in "Heart of Stone," which spins the emotional thrust of the song 180 degrees: from lament to liberation. Genius.

    Were the half-dozen years in which this kind of stuff was being recorded just one of those amazing musical explosions, so rich and crammed with good stuff that it can only be fully appreciated in retrospect? You can answer that better than I can. The internet's always revealing more of these eruptions, the vast majority previously obscure to me. A fair compensation for the death of vinyl, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your kind words; it certainly sounds like we both have similar opinions on music in general and on music from the late 70's early 80's in particular.
    I was lucky to live in a region with great radio back then too; the Pasadena station KROQ and its sister station 91X, as well as its Long Beach competitor KNAC (the pre-metal KNAC) were all terrific stations that played tons of "new music" as it was often called back then. I think we were lucky to live places where you could actually hear new types of music, which was so much harder in those pre-internet days.
    Ha ha, I also would tape stuff off the radio onto cassette; in fact, a few years back I found someone who had done that for KROQ in the mid- to late-80's and digitized it and uploaded it to YouTube.
    I definitely know what you mean; sometimes listening to old stuff is kind of a letdown when you realize there was nothing special to it, it was just how young and inexperienced you were at the time. But I've also had the experience of listening to something from back then that I liked and being re-energized by how good it was (and still is). I guess it balances out.
    As you can probably tell from my blog, I DO think that 5-6 year span from 1977 to 1982 or 3 really WAS a musical explosion that changed popular music for the better. Its hard to divest my interpretation of this from my subjective feelings here, particularly in light of what you said about how invigorating it is to discover things yourself in your early teen years, but I listen to a LOT of music and I still have run across few time periods in which so much was happening. And its not just punk and new wave, metal was being reinvigorated back then too, and even disco was reaching its apogee of popularity. Its strange to me that a time characterized by so much political and economic malaise was so vital musically, but maybe that isn't so strange when you consider how misery and art complement each other in other creative arenas. But I'm still convinced that that stretch of time was really magical with respect to popular music.
    The internet is SO amazing; I am SO envious of kids nowdays, who simply have to Google or Wiki something or get on YouTube and they have 10 times more information on musical scenes and genres than we ever did. Of course, that could also be seen as a negative; it was obviously way more satisfying back in the day to search these things out, find the one or two radio stations that MAYBE played some of this music, maybe venture into an independent record store and brave the hard stares of the hip clerks as you tried to buy something that wasn't available at Music Plus or the Wherehouse or Licorice Pizza. The thrill of the chase has to be smaller nowdays for whatever that's worth.

    ReplyDelete